This two day workshop offers teachers an overview of the Talk for Writing approach and provides opportunities for hands-on participation in the steps of this exceptionally effective instructional approach. The workshop addresses the use of Talk for Writing for both fiction and non-fiction and covers:
- Planning, both for a unit of work, based on instructional needs of students, and at a whole-school level;
- The “Three I’s” – Imitation, Innovation and Invention – which are the basis of the Talk for Writing approach and which allow students to move from dependence to independence in their writing in a systematic, scaffolded way;
- Providing effective feedback to students in order to promote skill development;
- Accurate assessment of writing, in order to track student progress and guide teaching goals; and
- Development of grammatical skills, with a focus on functional application of grammar in writing, through ‘warm-up’ games selected to meet specific instructional needs of students.
This workshop is suitable for primary school teachers. We also offer a Talk for Writing Early Years workshop for Kindergarten and Pre-Primary teachers.
Presenter: Courtney McNally
Courtney is a registered psychologist with extensive experience working in an educational setting. She is passionate about improving the outcomes for students presenting with learning difficulties and disorders through the provision of effective instruction. Courtney is dedicated to using high-quality evidence-based programs and is a qualified Sounds-Write, Word Aware, and Talk for Writing trainer. She has also witnessed the impact of utilising these programs first-hand through small-group tuition for students experiencing literacy difficulties.
DSF Literacy Services has a ‘no refund’ policy. The exception would be when a Professional Learning Course had to be cancelled by the Foundation. All other requests for cancellation will be invited to re-register for another session. Late cancellation (less than 48 business hrs) will necessitate the Foundation deducting an administration fee of $25.00 and transferring the balance to another Professional Learning Course.