Membership of the Dyslexia-Speld Foundation WA (Inc) entitles a parent/individual to apply for access to our Tutor Register which contains a list of DSF trained Tutors and Specialist Teachers. Once a tutor is located through the register, a private contractual arrangement is established between a family/individual and their chosen tutor.
Requirements for tutors joining the Foundation
Over the years DSF tutors have played a vital role in assisting children and adults with specific learning disabilities. A good teacher, using sound teaching methods can make all the difference to a student’s success and self confidence.
If you would like to be registered as a DSF tutor the requirements are as follows:
- Appropriate Teaching Qualifications
- A working with Children (WWC) card even if you have WACOT membership
- Minimum two years Classroom Experience or Equivalent
- Attend an Interview – at DSF where you will have the opportunity to find out more about the Foundation and its expectations from you as a Specialist Teacher/Tutor.
- Annual Professional Membership Fee (currently $85) which entitles you to:
- 3 Bulletins a year
- Use of the DSF Library
- Discounted Workshop Fees
- Annual Tutor Registration Fee (Currently $65) which entitles you to:
- Ongoing access to the DSF tutor manager and opportunities for collegiate support
- Students being referred to you for tutoring, contingent on those who call and their proximity to you geographically
- Recognition as a Specialist Teacher/Tutor in the field of specific learning disabilities through registration with the Foundation
- Additional discounting on workshop fees
- Professional Indemnity Fee ($35)
- Attend Ongoing Professional Development both during your initial period as a DSF tutor and throughout your relationship with the Foundation. There is an expectation that tutors will attend a minimum of 6 hours PD each year.
- Planning and reporting – DSF Specialist Teachers/Tutors are asked to assess, plan and report on each students progress each term or as appropriate for each student’s plan. We ask you to send a copy of this report to the student or the student’s parents and also to the DSF Tutor Manager.
- Secondary Teachers need to have taught English or Maths.
A copy of our Tutor Guidelines is available to download and can be found under the Forms and Information tab on the right.