Date(s) - 06/03/2019
9:00 am - 3:30 pm
Registrations & Pricing
Registrations can be completed using the form below. Discounted registration fees are often available for DSF members. Please log in if you have an existing account on the DSF website.
Retrieve log in details | Become a Member
This one day workshop offers Kindergarten and Pre-Primary teachers an overview of Talk for Writing in the early years. Talk for Writing is an exceptionally effective instructional approach for both oral language and early writing development. The workshop provides practical opportunities for hands-on participation in the implementation of the program. This workshop covers:
– The importance of oral language development in early writing emergence, including nursery rhyme and oral storytelling;
– The “Three Is” – Imitation, Innovation and Invention – which are the basis of the Talk for Writing approach;
– Planning for units of work across the school year, including exposing students to high-quality rhymes, stories and non-fiction texts;
– Providing effective scaffolding to promote the move from dependence to independence in a child’s storytelling and early writing development;
– Accurate assessment in order to track student progress;
– Involving families and caregivers in the storytelling process; and,
– Explicit grammar teaching through sentence and story games.
Sarah trained as both a speech pathologist and a primary school teacher. She is dedicated to using high-quality evidence-based programs to teach literacy skills and has been impressed by the outstanding achievements of students attending TfW schools. Sarah is experienced in planning and delivering Talk for Writing in small group and individual settings, for students with literacy learning difficulties, language impairments and developmental disabilities. In addition, Sarah regularly delivers comprehensive training in TfW in schools across Perth.
RegistrationPlease ensure you have read and understand our cancellation policy before completing the form below. If you have any food intolerances or food allergies please be aware that whilst we make every effort to make our caterers aware of your needs we cannot guarantee that your meal has been created in a 100% allergen free environment. DSF will not be liable for adverse reactions to food consumed on our premises.
Bookings are now closed. Contact DSF on (08) 9217 2500 or via email to see if you are able to register.