Date(s) - 18/05/2018
9:00 am - 3:30 pm
Registrations & Pricing
Registrations can be completed using the form below. Discounted registration fees are often available for DSF members. Please log in if you have an existing account on the DSF website.
Retrieve log in details | Become a Member
This one day workshop offers Kindergarten and Pre-Primary teachers an overview of Talk for Writing in the early years. Talk for Writing is an exceptionally effective instructional approach for both oral language and early writing development. The workshop provides practical opportunities for hands-on participation in the implementation of the program. This workshop covers:
– The importance of oral language development in early writing emergence, including nursery rhyme and oral storytelling;
– The “Three Is” – Imitation, Innovation and Invention – which are the basis of the Talk for Writing approach;
– Planning for units of work across the school year, including exposing students to high-quality rhymes, stories and non-fiction texts;
– Providing effective scaffolding to promote the move from dependence to independence in a child’s storytelling and early writing development;
– Accurate assessment in order to track student progress;
– Involving families and caregivers in the storytelling process; and,
– Explicit grammar teaching through sentence and story games.
Presenter: Courtney McNally (Registered Psychologist)
Courtney McNally, BA (Hons) is Psychologist at DSF Literacy and Clinical Services where she assesses children, adolescents, and adults with learning difficulties and disabilities. As part of this role, she also consults with parents on appropriate evidence-based classroom and individual strategies to improve literacy and numeracy skills.
RegistrationPlease ensure you have read and understand our cancellation policy before completing the form below. If you have any food intolerances or food allergies please be aware that whilst we make every effort to make our caterers aware of your needs we cannot guarantee that your meal has been created in a 100% allergen free environment. DSF will not be liable for adverse reactions to food consumed on our premises.
This event is fully booked. Please email us with the workshop date and title if you wish to be placed on the wait-list.