This workshop is for teachers currently working (or considering working) in remote community schools. It addresses the use of Talk for Writing for both fiction and non-fiction and covers the following areas with specific reference to the unique educational needs of these students:
• Planning, both for a unit of work, based on instructional needs of students, and at a whole-school level;
• The “Three I’s” – Imitation, Innovation and Invention – which are the basis of the Talk for Writing approach and which allow students to move from dependence to independence in their writing in a systematic, scaffolded way;
• Providing effective feedback to students in order to promote skill development;
• Accurate assessment of writing, in order to track student progress and guide teaching goals; and
• Development of grammatical skills, with a focus on functional application of grammar in writing, through ‘warm-up’ games selected to meet specific instructional needs of students.
This workshop is suitable for primary school teachers. We also offer a Talk for Writing Early Years workshop for Kindergarten and Pre-Primary teachers.
Presenter: Peta Collins (Primary and Secondary Trainer)
Peta is an educational and developmental psychologist. She was first introduced to Talk for Writing when attending the conferences presented by Pie Corbett during his visit to Perth, and was impressed by the way the approach is able to address the learning needs of all students: from students at educational risk, through to students requiring educational extension and challenge. She has been closely involved in the development of DSF’s Talk for Writing workshops, at both primary and secondary level, and has benefitted from the invaluable support and expertise of Dean Thompson and Maria Richards during their visits to Australia. Peta also uses Talk for Writing, at primary and secondary level, in individual and small-group tuition with students who are experiencing literacy learning difficulties.
To register your interest in this workshop please email email@example.com. Thank you.
Date(s) - 23/04/2019 - 24/04/2019
9:00 am - 3:30 pm
Registrations & Pricing
Registrations can be completed using the form below. Discounted registration fees are often available for DSF members. Please log in if you have an existing account on the DSF website.
Retrieve log in details | Become a Member