Date(s) - 18/07/2018
9:00 am - 3:30 pm
Registrations & Pricing
Registrations can be completed using the form below. Discounted registration fees are often available for DSF members. Please log in if you have an existing account on the DSF website.
Retrieve log in details | Become a Member
* This two day workshop runs on 18th and 25th July*
This two day workshop offers teachers an overview of the Talk for Writing approach and provides opportunities for hands-on participation in the steps of this exceptionally effective instructional approach. The workshop addresses the use of Talk for Writing for both fiction and non-fiction and covers:
• Planning, both for a unit of work, based on instructional needs of students, and at a whole-school level;
• The “Three I’s” – Imitation, Innovation and Invention – which are the basis of the Talk for Writing approach and which allow students to move from dependence to independence in their writing in a systematic, scaffolded way;
• Providing effective feedback to students in order to promote skill development;
• Accurate assessment of writing, in order to track student progress and guide teaching goals; and
• Development of grammatical skills, with a focus on functional application of grammar in writing, through ‘warm-up’ games selected to meet specific instructional needs of students.
This workshop is suitable for primary school teachers. We also offer a Talk for Writing Early Years workshop for Kindergarten and Pre-Primary teachers.
Presenter: Carla Humphrey
Carla is a DSF Talk for Writing presenter as well as a teacher at Yanchep Beach Primary School, one of the first schools in WA to introduce Talk for Writing as a whole-school approach. She has experience in Pre-Primary to Year 7, and has also worked with students who have English as a Second Language. Carla accepted the role of Talk for Writing phase leader for middle primary at Yanchep Beach, guiding the coordination and planning of the program across Years 2 to 5. Carla is passionate about Talk for Writing and is enthusiastic about the impact it has on classroom teaching and student progress.
RegistrationPlease ensure you have read and understand our cancellation policy before completing the form below. If you have any food intolerances or food allergies please be aware that whilst we make every effort to make our caterers aware of your needs we cannot guarantee that your meal has been created in a 100% allergen free environment. DSF will not be liable for adverse reactions to food consumed on our premises.
Bookings are now closed. Contact DSF on (08) 9217 2500 or via email to see if you are able to register.