This two day workshop offers teachers an overview of the Talk for Writing approach and provides opportunities for hands-on participation in the steps of this exceptionally effective instructional approach. The workshop addresses the use of Talk for Writing for both fiction and non-fiction and covers:
• Planning, both for a unit of work, based on instructional needs of students, and at a whole-school level;
• The “Three I’s” – Imitation, Innovation and Invention – which are the basis of the Talk for Writing approach and which allow students to move from dependence to independence in their writing in a systematic, scaffolded way;
• Providing effective feedback to students in order to promote skill development;
• Accurate assessment of writing, in order to track student progress and guide teaching goals; and
• Development of grammatical skills, with a focus on functional application of grammar in writing, through ‘warm-up’ games selected to meet specific instructional needs of students.
This workshop is suitable for primary school teachers. We also offer a Talk for Writing Early Years workshop for Kindergarten and Pre-Primary teachers.
Presenter: Peta Collins
Peta is an educational and developmental psychologist, a qualified teacher and an experienced DSF Talk for Writing trainer. She has been closely involved in the development of DSF’s Talk for Writing workshops, at both primary and secondary level, and has benefitted from the invaluable support and expertise of Pie Corbett, Dean Thompson and Maria Richards over the past few years. Peta also uses the Talk for Writing approach in individual and small-group tuition with students of all ages who are experiencing literacy learning difficulties.
Date(s) - 24/06/2019 - 25/06/2019
9:00 am - 3:30 pm
Registrations & Pricing
Registrations can be completed using the form below. Discounted registration fees are often available for DSF members. Please log in if you have an existing account on the DSF website.
Retrieve log in details | Become a Member
RegistrationPlease ensure you have read and understand our cancellation policy before completing the form below. Changes to bookings may incur an administration fee. If you have any food intolerances or food allergies please be aware that whilst we make every effort to make our caterers aware of your needs we cannot guarantee that your meal has been created in a 100% allergen free environment. DSF will not be liable for adverse reactions to food consumed on our premises.
Bookings are now closed. Contact DSF on (08) 9217 2500 or via email to see if you are able to register.